Published: Aug. 29, 2023

Few medical professions conjure visceral reactions like dentistry. Despite the numerous technological advancements that have been made to enhance the experience of the patient, many still dread their visit. Jill Kollar, a Doctor of Dental Medicine and an Applied Computer Science Post-Baccalaureate student, aims to change that. 

“I enrolled in the program to explore the idea of integrating an education in computer science with my current career,” said Kollar. “I know that big, positive impacts are being made in medicine through the use of technology, including image recognition and the use of robotics. My goal is to be part of the advancement of dentistry and medicine through one of those avenues.”

While the Applied Computer Science Post-Baccalaureate program has challenged her in some ways, Kollar has also found the experience satisfying and enriching. Starting on her first day, she was immersed in coding languages and exercises––new territory for Kollar. 

Image of Jill Kollar working on her computer“I felt like I gained foundational knowledge in computers that gave me a bigger picture of the science, such as learning how computers operate at the machine level to process code,” said Kollar. “Through this program I’ve gotten the opportunity to explore the infinitely scalable and big impact world of computer science in an amazing way. Now I’m able to hold competent conversations with those already in the field and have a better understanding of emerging technologies. I’m excited to see where my journey takes me next!”

By spring 2023, Kollar had completed all her core classes and plans to start the online Masters of Science in Computer Science at CU Boulder this fall where she will hone in on a specific area of study as of yet to be determined.

“I’m excited to see where my journey takes me next!” said Kollar. 

Advice to Others

Kollar has a few key pieces of advice for those who are interested in pursuing the Computer Science Post-Baccalaureate program. When considering a return to school she recommends exploring your personal and professional goals first and speaking with an academic advisor to talk about which program(s) are the best fit. She also suggests taking a measured and consistent approach to studying because balancing career and family obligations with coursework can be a challenge.

“The online experience is very different from in-person learning,” she emphasizes. “I had to find creative ways to connect with my classmates so I could grow the valuable relationships needed to form helpful study groups and a more enjoyable learning experience.” 

If you are ready to take the next step in your academic journey, learn more about the Computer Science Post-Baccalaureate program