Headshot of Juliana DefrieseAs a dedicated management professional, Juliana DeFriese found the Outdoor Recreation Economy program at CU Boulder as a professional development tool to sharpen her skills and expand her expertise for her current role with the US Forest Service.

“I’m originally from Chattanooga, Tennessee, but I moved to Columbia, South Carolina in 2019 for my job with the US Forest Service,” Juliana shares. “I’m passionate about parks, outdoor recreation, and conservation. I have more than 20 years of career experience executing promotional campaigns, developing programs, and facilitating partnerships, and I’m thrilled to apply that experience to my role with the Forest Service.”

“I decided to join the Outdoor Recreation Economy program for professional development, and I’ve found that this program is the perfect accompaniment for my work with the Forest Service,” Juliana says. “In my position, I work with strategic partners such as universities, conservation corps, local and state agencies, and other federal agencies to build capacity for the forests and provide workforce development opportunities for youth and young adults.”

Juliana is taking advantage of the stackable nature of the Outdoor Recreation Economy Program to start small and continue to build on her coursework over time. “I’ve decided to earn at least one graduate certificate, but I may pursue a second certificate, or stack my current coursework into a full master’s degree.”

“I’ve really enjoyed all of the classes I’ve taken in the Outdoor Recreation Economy program and I’ve found tremendous value in each one,” Juliana says. “One of my favorite courses was Environmental Movements, Alliances, and Legal Change, which explored environmental movements and trends with a focus on public land management, outdoor recreation, access to nature, and environmental justice.”

“Moving forward, I plan to continue working with the US Forest Service in my current role, and I know that this program will help me to be more creative and strategic in my role.”