Image of Emily Walbridge on a mountain topEmily Walbridge has always been drawn to the outdoors, as an avid participant and as a professional. When she decided it was time to return to graduate school and earn a master’s degree, she knew a program focused on the outdoor industry would be the right fit. Now, she’s earning a Master’s in Outdoor Recreation Economy at the University of Colorado Boulder, studying the intersection between sustainable business, strategic leadership, and diversity, equity, and inclusion within the outdoor industry.

Pursuing a Passion for Outdoor Activities

“I was always an outdoor kid,” Emily reflects. “I was the one up in the tree, out on the lake, snowshoeing in the wintertime, fly-fishing in the summer. I grew up on the shores of Lake Michigan, and I loved the outdoor recreation opportunities available to me there. In 2011, my employer asked me to relocate to Portland, Oregon to open a new branch, I didn’t need time to think. I knew my answer was yes.”

Since moving to Portland, Emily has embraced the outdoor spirit of the region with open arms. “My love for the outdoors has been fueled by the Pacific Northwest's endless outdoor opportunities,” Emily shares. “My favorite outdoor activity is hiking. I love being able to grab my hiking pack and reconnect with nature any day of the week.”

Emily has also pursued her passion for the outdoors through her career, by finding roles that align with her skills in marketing and her commitment to outdoor brands. “I’ve been working in marketing for 15 years,” Emily says. “I’ve worked for major global brands and some of the most prominent agencies in the United States.”

Today, Emily works for Adidas, in North American Retail Marketing & Sustainability. “I lead the development of sustainable and eco-friendly retail-focused solutions,” Emily says. “My role involves managing project plans, budgets, and calendars that bring the Adidas brand to life at the retail level. I also serve as a member of the Adidas Green Team, a group focused on bringing sustainability solutions to the organization.”

“My long-term career goal is to combine my brand marketing experience with my outdoor leadership skills to introduce the world of outdoor recreation to anyone and everyone,” Emily says.

Finding Purpose in Outdoor Recreation Economy Courses

“When I decided it was time to return to school and get my master's degree, I knew I didn't want to pursue a standard MBA program,” Emily recalls. “I started researching and found the incredible Outdoor Recreation Economy program at CU Boulder. It’s a perfect blend of my love for the outdoors and my work experience in marketing.”

Since starting the program in Fall 2021, Emily has been focused on sustainable business and diversity in the outdoor industry. “I’m passionate about implementing a circular economy and incorporating Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) into the strategic leadership of the outdoor industry,” Emily says. “These are two timely topics that many outdoor brands and organizations have started to look to experts for guidance. The recent Global Green Skills Report 2022 discusses the urgent shift brands face as society transitions to a ‘green economy.’ I want to be a part of that solution.”

In her courses, Emily has found both inspiration and action items for her career success. “My Circular Economy course has offered me a deep dive into brand strategy and how to incorporate a circular economy into that plan. It inspired me to keep learning long after the course was over, and to continue digging into case studies and strategies for sustainability. In my Strategic Leadership course, I learned what makes an organization's culture successful and how mission, values, and vision can play a pivotal role in that success.”

“My goal from the Outdoor Recreation Economy program is to ultimately prepare myself to build and lead sustainable organizations that create profit for shareholders while protecting the environment and improving the lives of their customers and employees,” Emily shares.

Giving Back to the Outdoor Community

Emily isn’t just a regular participant in outdoor activities – she’s working actively to make the outdoor community more inviting, inclusive, and equitable for all.

“I spend a lot of my free time getting involved in outdoor industry initiatives,” Emily admits. “I’m a Mazama’s hike leader in Portland and a member of the Basic Climbing and Education Committee. I'm a member of The Mountaineers in Washington and a volunteer instructor in the Alpine Scrambling course. I'm a certified Wilderness First Aid responder, a contributor to The Mountaineers Magazine, and Mazama's Bulletin.”

And Emily doesn’t just participate in outdoor activities in her free time – she volunteers to advance the mission of the outdoor industry, too. “My volunteering history is longer than some portions of the Pacific Crest Trail,” Emily jokes. Her volunteering pursuits include the Washington Trails Association, Adventure Scientists, Friends of Trees, SOLVE, Forest Park Conservancy, Climb for Clean Air, and the Polar Plunge, to name a few.

“I envision the outdoors to be for everyone, not just for a select athletic few,” Emily says. “It doesn't have to be the first ascent on a mountain to love being outdoors. It can be a walk in the park, a volunteer day on the trail, a bike ride on the waterfront, or a first camping experience in the backyard.”

“Our connection with nature helps lower stress levels, awaken creativity, and provides a bond to other living creatures,” Emily concludes. “Everyone should have options and resources to get outdoors. One gender, one race, one group of people does not own the outdoors. The outdoors is for everyone.”